Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Harry Potter =)

In class today, my small group and I were discussing a few things that I felt were note-worthy. The first is the importance of animals and creatures in the three novels that we are reading for the high fantasy section of this class. In Wizards of Earthsea, the only living thing that Ged ever showed much emotion to was to his otak. This otak even pulled Ged back to life after he was chasing the soul of the little boy. In Harry Potter, he has Hedwig. Hedwig is the only tie he has to Hogwarts during the summer break. She not only is necessary for him to mail to and from for his friends but becomes a companion to him through out his growth at Hogwarts. Lyra has Pan, her daemon in the Golden Compass. Pan experiences everything as Lyra does and is not only her protector but he dearest friend. I just thought it was interesting to note that even in all of the differences in the three novels, animals and their relationships with the main characters or the heroes in the novels are animals.

Our second discussion was about the different styles in which LeGuin and Rowling write. We talked about how even though both authors focused on the main tropes for high fantasy, each one has a completely different idea of what a hero is. Ged was primarily alone to fight his own demons while Harry had a constant support system that was always there for him to fight off whatever may come.

6 comments:

  1. Your point about the significance of the heroes' animals/pets is a very interesting one that I didn't realize. Of course, the more obvious thing is to focus on the people and humans surrounding our characters- which I did. But I think, in a sense, the sayings: "Tell me who loves and admires you and I will tell you who you are" by Charles Augustin Saint-Beuve, or the common saying, "You are who your friends are," are also applicable to non-human companions.

    Harry just seems to have very giving relationships both with his friends and his pet. On the other hand, I see that Ged is not necessarily close to anyone in particular and I find his relationships to be one way; that is, he really only reaches out when he needs something. The example of inviting Vetch on the boat at the very end, comes to mind. The fact that Harry's friends would die for him if it came down to that, shows how truly genuine his relationships are as well as him as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your insight on the friendship relationships that these three heroes have with an animal. I believe that all three authors are tapping into a child's viewpoint on the importance of an animal companion as a true friend. There are plenty of stories in which children have make believe friends that are pets and other children who will show no hesitation in saying that their best friend is their pet dog, fish, cat, etc. All three authors do a great thing for their young readers as they each encourage and support children's natural tendency to bond and connect with animals around them as close friends as each hero has a dear friend in an animal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember talking about the importance of friendship with you in class. I also love how Harry's companions made the Harry Potter story what it is. Harry's friends are very close to him and if it were not for them Harry would not have been successful in his journey. His friends are also extremely relatable to our friendships. We can also relate to Hedwig, since most of us have our own pets. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was much more of an enjoyable read for me because of my ability to relate to the characters and animals of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought about all of these characters having an animal that they rely on. I think it's really interesting and just goes to support the idea that these heroes need a good support group and can't do things on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am openly not a animal lover. I know its blasphemous to most I just like animals outside not licking me or shedding on everything. However, I must admit that in a literary context I too became very attached to all three of the little companions we have encountered. The creatures aid in the development of the protagonist, especially in The Golden Compass. I really like the quote by Saint-Beuve that Charmaine added because Pullman basically states that outright in the novel. That when the daemon takes on its true form it tells the human what kind of person they are. I think animals play a role in each of the novels but the role of the creatures in The Golden Compass is much more significant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Callie, I like how you compared all three of the novels and their respective characters' relationships to animals. I also think it is interesting that society is very open and loving toward animals. Though as Alli ^ points out, not everyone is an animal lover. Why aren't daemons plants? Or rather another self? Interesting how we automatically jump to an animal as a soul, even when Christian teachings tell us animals have no soul, but then again, Pullman is far from Christian and this could be a blatant jab in that direction. But this is only speculation.

    ReplyDelete