Monday, April 12, 2010

Holes and Onions

Holes is one of my favorites from when I was young. When I saw that this is the book that my next blog would cover, I did not know what I was going to discuss. After I reread this time around, I could not help but note the significance of the holes and the onions.

Onions, typically considered a pungent and harsh vegetable and probably my least favorite veggie at that. In this book, Sachar even makes me want to eat onions. The descriptions of the golden onions and the taste of them makes even my mouth water. Whenever they are mentioned it is focused on the good and healing aspects of the onions. While they were important during the flashbacks in the book, they are also what save Stanley and Zero when they are starving, Zero is suffering from food poisoning and even from the YELLOW SPOTTED LIZARDS!!! It is interesting that Sachar chose the onion to be the healing, good symbol in this book.


Holes, typically dug to bury something or find something that is hidden. No surprise that holes are the negative symbol in this book. A few times the holes are referred to as graves. They represent what the "bad" kids have done and their punishment. They often released their hatred for the dirt and the deep holes that they had to continuously dig by spitting into them. Metaphorically, all the holes must be filled in for the story to resolve itself into a happy ending.

7 comments:

  1. I want to eat those onions too! They do sound delicious! And I agree, it is interesting that Sachar chose the onion to be the healing symbol in the book. I wonder why he did that. I also wonder where in the world are onions like the ones he described in the book!!! (Because seriously, I really do want to eat them)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the idea of the boys digging their own “graves” was so cryptic, but also kind of cool. It would have been really creep if the setting was in a forest or cemetery-esque place and there were so many holes—like someone had come along and dug up all the graves! I loved the detail that all the boys spit into the holes after they were done (it’s such a boy thing to do!) I thought it was so funny that you told us the story in class about how much you enjoyed digging that dugout behind your house, because like the novel mentioned, I feel like a lot of people do secretly want to dig a really big hole. Two of my cousins dug a hole in my grandparents’ backyard when they were younger, just for the heck of it, but they somehow managed to bust a water line, and almost flood the backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sachar's use of the onion reminds me of the discussion we had in class about why E.B. White used a spider as the main character in Charlotte's Web. I wonder if Sachar had similar reasons as White.

    The metaphor for the holes is really interesting. I think the turning point from holes being bad to good is when they find Stanley's grandfathers chest. This hole was a good hole to be dug and after this happens everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your idea of Sachar's use of onions and the irony that it presents is an interesting one. I believe that really great authors have the ability to alter, or even change, readers' attitudes towards certain things that the reader came into the book absolutely hating. For a writer to be able to make you want to eat onions after you approached the book with them as your least favorite vegetable shows something about Sachar's persuasive and influential power on you as an individual reader. While it was the onions for you, it is something else for another reader and this reality embodies the honest and wonderful powers that exist within texts and the art of reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not one to eat onions. I hate them but loved how they were used in this book. I don't know the reason why Sachar would use onions but I'm sure there is an interesting story behind it. I like your metaphor about holes. I also believe the holes were bad except for the final hole that turned the story around. Sachar used this hole for good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also can't stand onions, but they seemed mouthwatering in the book! Maybe the author did want to give onions a positive rep. I liked your metaphor about holes. YOu can apply it to so many things. Everyone has holes in their lives and it feels so great to have them filled in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the role of the onions in the book. They are typically considered smelly and they make you cry, but in this novel they sere a large purpose. Sachar gives onions a positive association. It had me wondering if any of the uses were actually true. I liked how Sachar tied in so much meaning to the onions as well as the holes.

    ReplyDelete